Thursday, February 9, 2012

A Little Lesson in Malagasy:

So, as many of you know, in addition to having French classes everyday I also have classes on the local language of Malagasy! 

Just a little introduction to languages in Madagascar: French and Malagasy are the official languages, English has actually just been added as an official language but only a few people know how to speak it... who knows why it was added as an official language. Actually, my host sister says its "A la mode" to know how to speak English- actually apparently many American things are "a la mode" here... Even my American accent! They love to hear me speak English- I have rarely heard of someone who likes the sound of an American accent but I guess it makes me feel a bit better about the way I speak :-) It is also funny too- because whenever I get harassed on the street people always yell at me in French (because they assume that I am French I guess) once someone finds out that I am not though, and that I am American, I am more widely received. My host family told me that the Malagasy like Americans more than the French. 

Alright- back onto the subject of languages here. Basically everyone in the country speaks Malagasy. Malagasy is the most likely language you will hear being spoken amongst locals, in household and in the more rural areas. It is basically a melting pot of different language, just like Madagascar is a melting pot of different peoples. Linguists have found parallels between Malagasy and the languages spoken in some of the Indonesian Islands, Southeast Asia, India, East African Bantu languages and even Arabic. All of these areas have early histories of migration to the island of Madagascar which is why Madagascar has so many ethnicities and influences. 

French is the second language that is most widely spoken in this country. Madagascar was once a French colony and like many former colonies, the language influence never left. French is the main language in university instruction, in most television shows, in products that one finds at a store or in the market and many more sort of "formal" sectors if you will. children are taught both French and Malagasy in school so most children that I have encountered in the city know both. 

On the subject of French being taught in schools, I would just like to make a little point that most of the lessons in my program are conducted in French. I think I deserve some bragging rights- that I can understand and comprehend lessons conducted in French by some Malagasy professors (with difficult to understand Malagasy accents) and I can usually comprehend most of what they are saying! I just wish that my French speaking skills were on par with my French writing skills.....

Now for a beginners lesson in Malagasy: (my stellar pronunciations are in parentheses)
*On a side note- the Malagasy language has been very difficult for me to learn for a number of reasons: 
1. It seems like every town in Madagascar begins with the letter "A" and has like 12 syllables
2. Every verb begins with the letter "M" (not kidding)
3. Every word ends with a vowel (not kidding about this either- oh and they consider "y" a vowel)
4. There are many unnecessary syllables and vowels that are not even pronounced

These are what cause me the most issues when trying to learn the language but now I'll let you try it out for yourself...

Tonga Soa (toonga soo-a)- Welcome
Tompoko (toomp-koo)- Mr./ Mrs.
Manahoana (mana-own-a)- Hello
Misaotra (mees-otra)- Thank you
Azafady (aza-fadee)- Pardon/ Please
Veloma (vel-ooma)- Goodbye



I'll leave it at that for now- next time I'll have a few more phrases and words for you all. That will give you all time to brush up o these words so you can impress your friend with a language that is only useful in Madagascar!

Just a few funny anecdotes at the end of my Jeudi (Thursday)- I decided that I really like funny anecdotes will use them more often when blogging. Just two for today though:

1. A lady came to the center today to tell us Malagasy folklore. She was a great performer and I really liked the folktales but the craziness began after she ended with the stories. She taught us a Malagasy folk dance and for lack of a better term... she was a dance Nazi. If we weren't doing it right she would yell at us in French and tell us to separate our "pousses" (we were doing this hand thing where are thumbs- pousses had to be separated from the rest of our fingers to the point where it hurt me)- then she would come over and yell at me and tell me I was doing it wrong. Anyways, this went on for about a half hour, with everyone making fools out of themselves. It was actually pretty hilarious.

2. The taxi be's did not want to cooperate for us this afternoon. My host sister met me at the program center today and her, another girl I go home with and I were about ten minutes later than usual getting out. The consequence of this was that there were no taxi be's that could fit us! They were all full! We literally waited for a half hour... then walked down the street a little... waited for ten more minutes, keeping ourselves occupied by running after other taxi be's in the hopes that they could fit us but to no a vail. UNTIL a taxi be from heaven came upon us! Unfortunately, it was one of the most crowded taxi be's I have ever been in so I guess it wasn't exactly a God send. Oh well... When in Tana....

Wow! two updates in one day! You guys are spoiled... either that or I just have a lot to talk about. I'm sorry there are not any new pics- you just have to deal with some pics from the internet (such as this lovely man sporting a trending "I love Malagasy T-shirt") Well on that note I think it is time for me to retire....

1 comment:

  1. J'aime bien comment tu écris ... je vais devenir "addicted" de ton blog :p

    ReplyDelete